Phone: (414) 271-3400
Fax: (414) 271-3841
Sean M. Sweeney’s practice focuses on business litigation, civil litigation, stock broker fraud, business transactional law, and real estate law. Sean has experience litigating business and civil disputes as both plaintiff’s and defendant’s counsel, helping buyers and sellers complete real estate transactions, as well as experience drafting contracts ranging from small business contracts to plow a parking lot to large corporation contracts dealing with operating and maintaining real estate.
Sean earned his Juris Doctor (JD) and Masters of Business Administration (MBA) from Marquette University. He earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Economics from Northern Arizona University.
Sean currently runs his own blogs, www.Milwaukee-Business-Lawyer.com where he writes articles and discusses recent cases relating to business law in Milwaukee. He also runs www.Stockbroker-Arbitration.com, in which he discusses securities fraud, stockbroker employment disputes, and FINRA arbitration.
Honors and Awards:
- In 2011, 2012, and 2013, Sean was named to the Wisconsin Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list as one of the top attorneys in Wisconsin. No more than 2.5% of the lawyers in the state are selected to the list.
- In 2012, 2013, and 2014 Sean was named to M: Milwaukee’s Lifestyle Magazine’s Leading Lawyers for Litigation. Leading Lawyers only selects those attorneys ranked in the top 2-5% for each category.
- In 2013, Sean was named to the Wisconsin Law Journals selection of Up-And-Coming Lawyers. Honorees are nominated by colleagues and selected by Wisconsin Law Journal editorial staff.
- Sean maintains a rating of 10.0 “Superb” from Avvo.com. The rating is calculated using a mathematical model that considers elements such as years of experience, board certification, education, disciplinary history, professional achievement, and industry recognition.
- Wisconsin Circuit, Appellate, and Supreme Court
- U.S. Federal District Court-Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Federal District Court – Western District of Wisconsin
- US Federal Bankruptcy Court – Eastern District of Wisconsin
- LLCs From a Litigator’s Prospective – Avoiding Litigation, Lorman Education Services (2013)
- LLCs From a Litigator’s Prospective – Resolving Litigation, Lorman Education Services (2013)
- Investment Fraud, from Wall Street to Main Street, Milwaukee Bar Association Presents (2012)
- FINRA Mediation and Arbitration, State Bar of Wisconsin Litigation, Dispute Resolution & Appellate Practice Institute (2012)
- Hidden Gems in Adobe Acrobat, Wisconsin Solo and Small Firm Conference (2011)
- Ethics of Social Media, Wisconsin Solo and Small Firm Conference (2010)
- Using Blogging as an effective communication tool, Wisconsin Bar Leaders Conference (2009)
- Negotiating the Transition from Law School to Practice, Marquette University (2008)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Wisconsin Bar Association – Wisconsin Bar Litigation Section
- Wisconsin Bar Association – Wisconsin Bar Business Law Section
- Milwaukee Bar Association
- National Sports Law Institute
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (PIABA)
Areas of Practice:
- Business Litigation
- General Civil Litigation
- Business Transactional Law
- Real Estate
- Stock Broker Fraud
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Marquette University Business School
Masters in Business Administration
- Northern Arizona University
Bachelor of Science in Business Economics